Saturday, November 24, 2007

REFLECTION

Last year I enrolled in a course called Strategies for Curriculum Change, (with another professor), and what I found in the first week was a class that was going to change your thinking on educational technology with a lot of assignments that would be considered busy work For whatever reason, I had to drop the class.

I then registered the next semester for the same class, taking a teacher called Bachenheimer. No one had any information on him, (or her, I was not sure), so I basically took it blindly because I needed the class for my requirements.

The first day of class was so low- key and relaxing, that all my inhibitions were gone. What I found was a very educational and useful class (for a change).
Thinking back, we learned how useful technology can and will be in education. With some very alarming facts (Did You Know), we have to realize the importance of technological in our lives. Change, in itself, is and will be important in our lives.

What we have to do is, first, be willing to accept change, in any form. That is hard for some of us veterans who have been doing things a certain way for years. To switch to a new method, and actually learn something new, what are you crazy? We need to analyze the usefulness of what we are looking to “fix.”

I have worked for a boss who had a 2 week window for change. He had all these great ideas to implement, but never had a proper plan of action. He literally would give the project two weeks to evolve and prove itself. If it was not effective in that short time, he would scrap it. Needless to say, we went through many changes in the course of a year, and it drove the staff crazy. Even programs that were very successful were changed, for the sake of change. I am no longer a part of the ship that is sailing aimlessly.

To change, for the sake of change, is not a good thing. To change to fix something is more the answer. Setting long term goals and evolving to achieve those goals is more the answer.

Hey, I learned to create a blog, and I think I might even use it after class.

2 comments:

Rich Sackerman said...

Carl, I feel that once again we are on the same page with our views on curricular change. nThis course has taught me new technological skills to utilize in my classroom. I am sure that you will incorporate them into your special ed room as well. Great post.

Barry Bachenheimer said...

Carl,

Great post on the concept of change in general. Keep that insight in education and you will do just fine!

Thanks.